Thursday 14 July 2016

Afrofest Toronto 2016

Hey Guys!! yes, I know, it's been months since I've posted anything on this blog, which is sad. But I promise you that there will be more content coming out as the year goes on.

This past Sunday, on July 10, my friends and I decided to attend Afrofest in Toronto, which is the largest African Festival in North America. It has been years since I've gone to the festival, the last time I  remember going was when the venue us to be Queen's Park. 

There has been some controversy with the City of Toronto and the organizers of Afrofest this year. The city wanted to cut the 2-day festival to 1-day, which would be horrible, as the festival draws thousands of people from Toronto and abroad to the City of Toronto. Thankfully the people of Toronto came together and voiced their love of Afrofest and the city granted them their regular 2-day permit.

If You want to submerge yourself in African culture, Afrofest is the best place to be. You get to walk around to all of the different type of vendors from different countries in the wonderful continent. People were selling textiles, clothing, jewellery, beauty products and live paintings, along with some amazing food. If you want organic products, it is the perfect place to be.

It was nice to visit some of the vendors and talk to them about their products, I even purchased a hair product from London Ivy a Toronto based hair care line, that is 100% Vegan and Cruelty-free. Artist like Toronto's own YouTuber Femi Lawson was there selling his Tantalization merchandise and meeting his supporters, Kofi Frempong was at Afrofest doing live paintings, that were for sale.



Now that I am reflecting about what has happened in the last couple of weeks in the world, I've realizing that I don't support a lot of local or black local artist, or businesses. Afrofest and other festivals alike are the best place to discover local businesses.

There are so many festivals happening in Toronto this year, which one's are you going too?


No comments:

Post a Comment